Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Poem About My Other Girls

So, I was reading my poetry textbook today, and I felt like writing another poem. As it usually goes, I couldn't think of anything to write, so I asked Sarah for a topic. She told me to write about my daughter's hair. It got a bit off track, but Sarah and I compiled a fairly decent poem, I think. I'd love to hear any of your thoughts.

My firstborn daughter, just-turned-three,
Strolls near enough to reach.
With words and touch, I praise her locks,
Then suffer through her screech.

"I hate my hair, it's dumb!" She swears,
Abhorrence fills her eyes.
Cautious, I withdraw my love
And, meek, apologize.

Then second daughter, nearly two,
Climbs up into my lap.
"You're beautiful," I say to her,
And get a grievous slap.

"I a' no' bewful!" She asserts.
Then, gracelessly she flees.
Stunned, I wonder how my girls
Learned so much Disagreese.

1 comment: